How To Get Rid Of Fire Ants On Your Raleigh Property
Of all the species of ants in the United States, the one species that every homeowner dreads to find on their property is the fire ant. These insects may seem harmless with their minuscule size, but fire ants are extremely aggressive and have even been known to kill small animals for food. They're not only dangerous to your physical health, but they can also do some horrible structural damage as well. So, how can you get them off of your Raleigh property?
The Scoop On Fire Ants In Raleigh
Only measuring in between 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch long, these tiny terrors can really pack a punch. Their coloring varies between red and black and is sometimes a mixture of the two as well. They have a stinger at the tips of their abdomens, which they will use with reckless abandon to attack and immobilize predators and prey.
Everyone knows about the health dangers fire ants pose to the public, especially for those with allergies. It may not be as widely known what kind of structural and landscape damage they can inflict on a Raleigh property, though:
- Chewed and damaged electrical wires
- Foundational damage from nesting under homes
- Other damaged electronics such as air conditioners, cars, telephone wires, fuse boxes, etc.
- Yellowed and dead patches of grass around the property
- Damaged and destroyed gardens
With all the damage they can cause, and how aggressive fire ants are, it's no wonder everyone wants them off of their property. Unfortunately, though, getting rid of them isn't as easy as running to the store and purchasing some pesticide. This species of ant is also known to branch out and create satellite colonies if they're startled into dispersing, which leads to bigger and even worse infestations.
Preventing A Fire Ant Infestation On Your Raleigh Property
Fire ants are attracted to food and moisture, so it's important to make them as inaccessible on your Raleigh property as possible:
- Proper food storage – keep dried goods and pantry items in sealed, airtight containers
- Wipe down counters and food prep areas daily, including outdoor food prep and eating areas
- Clean up any food and drink spills immediately after they occur
- Remove wood, brush, and debris piles from your property
- Avoid over-watering your garden, and make sure your lawn is draining adequately
- Check to make sure there aren't any leaking pipes in your home, and repair as needed
- Invest in a dehumidifier for moisture-retaining rooms; kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, basement
- Seal and patch up any potential entry points; holes in siding, foundation, roof and trim, gaps around pipes and wires, exposed wood, replace worn down insulation around windows and doors
- Trim back low-hanging branches and unruly shrubs
How To Get Rid Of A Fire Ant Infestation On Your Raleigh Property
These ants are dangerous to your household's health and structural integrity. If you're struggling with a fire ant infestation on your Raleigh property, it's important to have them exterminated as soon as possible. Trying to do it on your own will only result in frustration and even worse infestations, and with dangerous pests like these, you never want a worse infestation on your hands. Instead of trying DIY, try the professionals at Arrest-A-Pest Exterminators.
Our highly-trained pest technicians pride themselves on effective, superior quality pest control. Our company and technicians are fully certified and capable of handling even the trickiest of pest infestations, including fire ants. We know how much the safety of your home and family means to you, and that's why we always treat each customer like our own family. We even offer referral discounts! So get in contact with us today to start discussing your pest control options.